My Dad was in town last week and loves our “hippy backyard.” He helped me out by picking all of the large plums from our tree. I took about half of the harvest and made my very first homemade plum jam. I have to say, it is really tasty!
Homemade Plum Jam Recipe (makes a little more than 6 half pint jars – you can cook the 6 half pint jars and have a little bit leftover for eating right away):
6 cups of of plums, pitted and chopped
2 cups of white sugar
1 cup of honey
juice of 3 limes OR juice of 1.5 lemons
1. Wash and prepare the canning jars.
2. Wash the plums, pit them and roughly chop them.
3. Combine the chopped plums, sugar, and lime/lemon juice in a large stock pot. Bring to a small boil. Stir occasionally.
4. When boiling, add the honey and mix together. Cook on a small boil for 30 minutes. A foam will develop at the top; use a spoon to scrap and discard the foam.
5. Pour the fruit liquid into the jars leaving 1/2 inch of room at the top.
6. Fill a stock pot with enough water to cover your jars. *I use my canning pot because it has a special piece at the bottom of it that keeps the jars from touching the bottom of the stock pot. I have read on many blogs that for fruit canning you can use a regular stock pot.*
7. Place the lids on the jars and put in the canning/stock pot. Bring water to a boil and boil 10 minutes.
8. Let the water cool and remove the jars. When completely cooled, remove and save the rings from the jars.