A friend of mine gave me this cloth belt when she was cleaning out her closet. I was excited when I saw it because I knew it would eventually turn into something spectacular. Sometimes while I am in my studio and I don’t really know what I feel like making I just start opening random boxes of material to see what jumps out at me. Today, this lovely belt shouted, “Make me into a necklace!” And, so I did. And, you can too.
How to Reuse a Belt to Make a Necklace:
1. Put a tape measure around your neck and measure the spot where you want the buckle to hang.
2. Measure away from the buckle to the number of inches you calculated in Step 1. Cut the belt.
3. Cut the belt 1″ from the last buckle hole.
4. Find some coordinating fabric and cut it so that it will cover the cuts you made and wrap around the belt.
5. Iron down all four sides of the fabric.
6. Sew the belt together. Wrap the ironed fabric around the belt and pin in place.
7. Sew around the fabric.
Find an outfit to wear with your new belt necklace!
My favorite part to this new necklace is the versatility. I can wear it long, wear it short, and fuss with it and make it fit whatever mood I am in!