Earlier this week I mentioned that I had a great weekend of making bread, pizza dough, and cinnamon rolls. I wanted to share my recipe for cinnamon rolls with you so that you can make some of your own! I froze all except 2 (I had to try them!) in serving sized bags for breakfasts during the week.
Here’s How to Make Homemade Cinnamon Rolls.
1/4 ounce OR 5/16 ounce package yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
1 ts salt
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup melted butter
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
(keep a little extra sugar and butter for the baking pan)
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup powdered sugar
2 ts vanilla extract
4 tablespoons hot water
1. Dissolve the packet of yeast in the warm water for 5 minutes (until it starts to get foamy).
2. Microwave the milk and butter (in separate containers) for 1 minute.
3. In a large bowl combine the scalding milk, sugar, melted butter, salt and egg. Add 2 cups of flour and mix until smooth.
4. Add the foamy yeast mixture to the large bowl and mix until smooth.
5. Add the remaining 2 cups of flour and mix until the dough is easy to handle by hand.
6. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes.
7. Place the ball of dough in a oiled bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and let rise for 1 1/2 hours (until it doubles in size).
*My kitchen is really cold, so I stick my bowl in the oven*
8. When the dough has doubled remove from the bowl and punch it down.
9. Roll out the dough out to a rectangle that is roughly 9″ x 15″
10. Spread the melted butter over the dough. Mix the cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over the buttered dough.
11. Beginning on the long side (15 inch) roll the dough. Cut the cinnamon log into 10 to 15 slices.
12. Coat an 8″ round baking pan with butter and sprinkle with sugar. Place all of your cinnamon rolls in the dish.
13. Let rise for another 30 minutes.
14. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool a bit while you make the glaze.
15. Mix, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Add 2 TB of water and mix until butter melts. Add 2 more TB and mix completely. Pour glaze over cinnamon rolls.
***If you want to freeze your cinnamon rolls for later***
Simply allow the cinnamon rolls to cool completely and divide them into proper serving sizes for your family. Wrap each serving size in plastic wrap and then place in freezer bag. When you want to bake them, pull them out of the freezer the night before and put them in the fridge. Bake at 350 degrees until they are warm to the touch. About 5 minutes.