I have been a bit preoccupied lately with packing. My husband, dog, and I are moving to a new house on the 1st of next month. We are super excited as we will have our very own backyard and much more space to live our quiet and dorky lives in. I have been unable to concentrate on many other things than how much stuff we actually have and attempting to organize it. We still have a lot of stuff, even after a few Goodwill runs, and the organization has pretty much been thrown out the window. I figure I will go through each box next month and really decide if I want to keep what is inside it. Or possibly REUSE IT!
I am dedicating this post to eco-friendly moving. I asked for a few tips last week on my facebook page as I began the process. I was so happy to receive such great advise!
The best thing I could come up with was wrapping our fragile items with our clothes. And, to be completely honest that did not come from the eco-conscious side of me (at first!) it came from the George Costanza cheap side of me. But, hey, we’ll take what we can get, right?
So, here are some great tips I found while searching the Internet for moving inspiration.
How to Move from place to place with the Environment in Mind:
- Something I am not too excited for is cleaning this place after it is emptied of our stuff. But, I was reminded of having to do that when I found a short Eco-moving tips article on About.com that recommended using “Green” cleaning supplies to clean up after your years and years of living messes.
- There have been several suggestions by several people and places to hoard boxes and take them from your local stores that are no longer using them. We borrowed some from Costco last week (:
- Make One Trip is one of the many suggestions from Tiny Green Bubble. We HOPE to do ours in just a few. Luckily we are only moving 10 or so blocks away, so we don’t have extended trips to take back and forth.
- Big Green Purse is akin with one of my facebook fans and suggest using bags and suitcases you already have to pack your clothes and such. I have been there and done that. Our luggage is sitting at the bottom of our closet full of our winter clothing. Good thing we are moving soon because it is starting to get cold!
- Lastly, I had to break down and buy some boxes to pack our monstrous book collection. So, I have decided to give all of the boxes away for free on freecycle.org and craigslist.org to anyone who will be in the same position I am right now during the month of November. Then, maybe they will pass the boxes on to someone else and so on and so forth. What a life those boxes could have!
There are also bunches and bunches of Eco Friendly Moving Companies out there that will do all of the work for you while at the same time being nice to the environment. Google it to see what I mean. And, if I weren’t the aforementioned George Costanza, I might have given them a try. But, perhaps in another lifetime…
If you have any other suggestions for me, feel free to leave a comment!