I have an old cardigan sweater that is down to having only one button left. The color is fantastic and it is so soft and cozy that I knew I had to do something to make it new again. I decided to make a neck warmer! If you have an old cardigan that needs some refreshing, it just takes a few steps to turn it into a new accessory.
How to Reuse a Cardigan to Make a Neck Warmer:
1. Cut your sweater underneath the arm or at the point your buttons end.
2. Unbutton the sweater and open up to see how long it is. Pick a fabric to sew along your newly cut edge. Cut the fabric to 1 inch longer than the sweater and 4 inches wide.
3. Fold the fabric at the ends and iron a crease. Do this to both ends.
4. Fold the fabric in half lengthwise and iron crease. Open the fabric back up and fold one end to the crease you just created and iron crease at folded end. Do the same with the other side.
5. Place one side of each fabric on either side of the cut edge of the sweater and pin to keep in place. Sew the fabric to the sweater.
6. Since my sweater only had one button left and three button holes I found two new buttons to add to my new neck warmer. I decided to move my buttons in order for the neck warmer to have a certain drapery effect.
So, even though we are experiencing a major heat wave this week, I am still getting myself ready for fall and winter. And this neck warmer is just the beginning.
Enjoy making old sweaters new again!